The Tenants Association Stuttgart and Environs and its membership conditions
It is our business to help tenants and look after their interests. We are politically active to promote the interests of tenants. Since the year 1900 the Tenants Association Stuttgart and Environs (DMB-Mieterverein Stuttgart und Umgebung e.V.) is the only acknowledged community service to all tenants in and around Stuttgart.
Five good reasons to become a member
As a member of the Tenants Association, you will receive advice and help from experienced legal advisers.
- The correspondence with your landlord or his lawyer will be done free of charge by our experts.
- Our members benefit from legal protection. In the case of a lawsuit, the court fees and attorney fees and the costs, which may have to be refunded to the landlord`s attorney, will be paid up to 6.000 €. Your share of the total legal costs will be only 200 €. For members who have been in our association for at least 5 years this share is reduced to 100 €.
- The legal protection is only granted after a 3-month waiting period and under the condition that the advice of the Tenants Association has been taken to try to settle the problem amicably. Damages that have occurred before or within this waiting period are not insured.
- Assistants of our association can examine the condition of your apartment for evidentiary purposes if the legal adviser thinks it is necessary (for example: when you move out of an apartment and need certification that the apartment is in good condition.)
- Every second month you receive our magazine for free. It provides useful tips and advice for tenants and legal information for tenants in and around Stuttgart. Our members also receive a newsletter by email regularly with important current information.
How do I become a member?
Every tenant can become a member. After signing the contract and being admitted, you get the right to vote at our general meeting. The membership starts January 1st of the year you join.
The membership fee is 84 € per year for the first two calendar years. Each following calendar year it is 72 €.
You can apply for membership by email, letter, fax or online. The forms can be found under "Mitglied werden".
How do you get legal advice?
As a member you have the right to ask for the advice of our legal advisers as often as you wish.
1. You can get advice in our office
For an appointment just call 0711 21016-12.
On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday you can schedule appointments until 6.00 pm, on Friday until 12.00 am.
2. You can get advice by phone
As a special service to all our members we offer legal advice by phone. You can call 0711 21016-0 Monday to Thursday from 8.30 am to 12.00 pm and 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm, Friday from 8.30 am to 1.00 pm. Please take into consideration that you might have to wait if all lines are busy. The consultation by phone is only meant for short advice and concrete questions. Please keep in mind that for complicated problems the legal adviser must take a look at papers such as your tenants contract, so that definite advice cannot be given on the phone.
3. Written advice
To receive written advice you have to send a letter, fax, or email in which you state your problem. Please enclose copies of every contract or letter connected to this problem. Please be aware that the correspondence will be done in German.
Termination of membership
Termination of the membership is possible up to December 31st of the calendar year with 3 months notice. The minimum membership is 2 years.
When moving away from the Stuttgart area your membership doesn’t end automatically, you have to terminate your membership as described above. We can also transfer your membership to your new local Tenants Association at your request.
When your landlord or his lawyer gives you a deadline, you should call us at least a week before to make sure that you get our advice. Whenever we set a deadline for your landlord, you need to contact us in case your claims are not fulfilled.
Going to court
The legal advisers of the Tenants Association provide legal advice out of court for you. However, the Tenants Association cannot represent you in court. This has to be done by lawyers. Of course we will refer you to experienced lawyers. To protect you from the risk of high costs for the court and lawyers you are provided with the legal protection, as explained above.
We welcome you to the Tenants Association
In all legal situations we are pleased to represent your interests. Join our association with more than 30.000 tenants in and around Stuttgart who are already members of our association.
Protect yourself and your rights by becoming a member.